Monday, July 19, 2010

'Fast' Edddie



Allow me to share with you a peculiar anecdote of an old man. I recently helped someone move named ‘Fast’ Eddie (named sarcastically for his extreme lack of speed). I met Fast Eddie earlier that day sitting all by himself at a local bar. This man couldn’t have been a day younger than 88. No lie, this guy was but one wrong sneeze away from sleeping amongst the flowers. So, when he asked me to help him move I couldn't really say anything but yes. Oh p.s. I’ll keep this story short and sweet since I’m watching an episode of Entourage and while normally they're lack of commercials wouldn’t be a problem, I am currently without a Tivo box. I digress… Due to Eddie's age I was curious as to why he was moving anywhere other than a nursing home. As it turns out, Eddie recently divorced his wife of around 40 years. When I heard this my jaw slammed to the floor…you’re telling me that this pleasant man who cant have but 5 years left on this earth told his wife of forty years “screw this I cant take it anymore, I’m out!” That has to be the most glorious thing I have ever heard. Now, I’m not speaking as an advocate of divorce or a hater of marriage, in fact I’m neither. I believe divorce should only happen when all other options have been exhausted. Being that he was 88ish I assume he'd been thinking this over for a while. What I find so wonderful about this scenario is that this man took a firm stand to make himself happy sooo far in to his life. The easy decision would have been just to stick out his marriage for the rest of his days. Talk about living everyday like it was your last...This man is my hero; it doesn’t matter if your 12 or 88, ultimately we should always do what makes us happy. Enjoy life in the fast lane Eddie. Back to Entourage.

No comments:

Post a Comment