Friday, July 23, 2010

6 Steps To Making a Quality Mix



This is a ridiculous (but incredibly accurate) synopsis describing the best way to maximize your very own cd making potential. I just found this 6 step process in the archives of my old MySpace page, thats right, MySpace. So, I dusted off this two year old gem for all to enjoy. Grab a notepad this may change your life.
6 Steps to making a quality mix cd
1. Consider whether you want the mix to convey a certain emotion or message. Pick music that you like and appreciate. How much you enjoy making the mix will be apparent in the final package.
2. Don't always focus on a genre and a theme. Putting widely different tracks in a compilation can add contrast for the listener.
3. Be flexible. Collect a set of tracks as a rough draft for the CD with the expectation you may decide not to include some of them.
4. Play around with the arrangement of the tracks. Think of the mix tape as a prolonged listening experience. You don't want the listener to get bored or skip songs. The first few tracks should grab the listener and get their attention. Group slower or softer songs together and then gradually build up momentum to more upbeat songs. A fast/heavy song might not go well after a soft, acoustic one.
5. Finalize your track arrangement and listen to the version a few times, making necessary adjustments. Feel free to remove some tracks and add others. It's possible that you may realize new tracks you'd like to add late in the process.
6. Burn the CD

9 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Geof. Welcome to the blog world.

    I once made a mixed tape. It's a pain in the ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time I ever made a mixed CD for someone was when a friend got dumped by her boyfriend. So I made a CD full of songs of women singing about how men suck. I guess it was theraputic for her.

    Note: I don't actually think men suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey coming by from Ian's blog and now following!

    I have not made a mixed tape/cd in forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by via Ian. =)

    I have not made a mixed cd for as long as I can remember...But maybe I need to start now that I have your handy little tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Mixed CDs. Those were the days. I still rock a few of my favorites off of a mixed CD or two that are still lingering around in my car. Mostly just so I have something the kids can listen to that won't damage their hearing or teach them to cuss like sailors (my road rage will do that enough. haha). It's nice to meet you. I'm coming over from Ian's blog, also. He said some very sweet things about you so you've got quite the reputation to live up to. :P Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use this method when I make my playlists on my iPod..I made one for sleeping because I had a song scare the you know what out of me one night...LOL! I am visiting from Ians blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE mixed tapes!

    I'm your newest follower...Ian pointed me in your direction :) Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete