Monday, August 23, 2010

The Top 8







Ahhh the good old days, remember the top 8 feature on MySpace. It seems like ages ago when that was a “big deal”…I’m not sure we can classify it an archaic creature just yet because people could very well still be using myspace but if so, I am not aware of it. That’s so 2008 (valley girl voice). So yeah, the top 8. You had to have one because if you didn’t you’re basically admitting that you hate people. This is where Facebook got it right, Facebook allows us to go ahead and have 500 friends (4 of which you actually talk to) and don’t worry about ranking them as if this were an episode of TRL “Mary should be #1 cause she’s the best wooooooooo!”. No. This top 8 concept was doomed to fail and was most likely what lead to the demise of myspace. I know for me, my top 8 friends are interchangeable daily and I don’t have the kind of time to be editing my list on a daily basis. One day #8 picks up the tab at lunch while #5 doesn’t call you because they’re in a new relationship. #4 could step on a pair of my new white shoes while #7 grabs me a Twix from inside the gas station without me even having to ask. Maybe #3 doesn’t call you on your birthday, while #6 paints you a portrait of Optimus Prime dunking on Andre the Giant. I don’t have the energy to generate friendship power rankings that frequently and I know what your thinking, “the simple solution would be not to do it”…True but your friends should get the credit they deserve or don’t deserve. So, thank you Facebook for allowing me to keep my list of top friends anonymous. Thank you for allowing me to go throughout life without offending my 9th favorite person or causing controversy among the “interchangeable” 8. This has been my food for thought, stay classy San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment